Home Schools

Schools

Flint Street School, Southwark

Original name Flint Street School
Current name English Martyrs RC Primary School
Previous names Unknown
Current address Flint Street, Walworth, London
Postcode SE17 1RB
Date of opening 1875
Date of addition(s) 1886 and 1904
VSIL grading Outstanding
Evidence source SBL Map 1904; LCC: Education Service Particulars for the Year 1914-1915. Andrew Saint Report 1991. James Hall site visit 2007.
Original architect E R Robson
Additional architect LCC architects
Style Early Robson
Borough Southwark
Current use Primary education
Condition Fair
Protection Listed Grade II (Listed 17/09/1988)
Comments
Recommended for listing by Andrew Saint in 1991. Elaborated symmetrical early school. U shaped school with plaques, unusual angular bays on E front, garlands etc, with added halls of 1904-5. Hall tucked in well. Lovely carved brick panels and ornate plaque. Very dutch. Listing description: English Martyrs School (part) II Formerly known as: Flint Street School Board School FLINT STREET. School. 1875. By ER Robson; extended to rear 1904-5. For London School Board. Stock brick with red brick and terracotta detail; slate roof. PLAN: the earliest part of the building has an L-plan and comprises the main block facing Flint Street and a 2nd block at right angles to it facing Deans Buildings. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. First floor of Flint Street elevation has a ten-window range. The top floor is lit by tall segmental-headed windows that are flanked by brick pilasters and triangular pediments; these are, on the long sides of the 2 blocks, set under pointed gables which rise through the par
© James Hall
© James Hall
© Tim Walder
© Tim Walder

School Search

Filter by various criteria to narrow your search

Architect
Style
Borough
Current use
Current condition
With Photos