Home Schools

Schools

Friern, The, School, Southwark

Original name Friern, The, School
Current name Harris Boys' Academy East Dulwich
Previous names Waverley Girls' School Lower School
Current address Peckham Rye, East Dulwich, London
Postcode SE22 0AT
Date of opening 1896
Date of addition(s) Unknown
VSIL grading Demolished
Evidence source SBL Map 1904; LCC: Education Service Particulars for the Year 1914-1915. Tim Walder site visit 2007.
Original architect T J Bailey
Additional architect Unknown
Style Middle Bailey
Borough Southwark
Current use Secondary education
Condition Demolished
Protection None
Comments
Demolished in October 2008. The façade was incomplete, the South wing having never been added. An attractive example of Bailey's work, of the "turreted and winged classic" type, with square cupolas, entrance porticos and a small one storey block on Friern Road. It was turned down for listing by English Heritage.
© Tim Walder
© Tim Walder
© Tim Walder
© Tim Walder

School Search

Filter by various criteria to narrow your search

Architect
Style
Borough
Current use
Current condition
With Photos