Home Schools


Goodrich Road School, Southwark

Original name Goodrich Road School
Current name Goodrich Community Primary School
Previous names Unknown
Current address Dunstans Road, East Dulwich, London
Postcode SE22 0EP
Date of opening 1886
Date of addition(s) Unknown
VSIL grading Classic
Evidence source The Building News, July 7/8, 1887. The Builder, December 1, 1888. SBL Map 1904; LCC: Education Service Particulars for the Year 1914-1915. Seaborne and Lowe [1977], p. 31. Andrew Saint Report 1991. James Hall and Tim Walder site visit 2007.
Original architect T J Bailey
Additional architect Unknown
Style Early Bailey
Borough Southwark
Current use Primary education
Condition Good
Protection None
Between Goodrich Road, Dunstans Road and Upland Road. "Bailey's first school" (as a solo operator). Published in Builder, 1 Dec 1888, with Arnold Mitchell perspective but disppointing, gables simplified. There is a two storey (Boys and Girls) block with classroom façade facing to the north and hall façade facing south and the playground. There is a one storey (Infant) block to the south. A pretty school with a fine plaque to Goodrich Road and delicate bas reliefs on gable ends of Infant block. The original roof has been replaced (without the fleche and dormer windows). There is a later "bridging" block between the two main blocks which is less successful and there are post war additions (nursery and office entrance). The Schoolkeeper's House to Dunstans Road is very tall and narrow and has some round windows. The school is of interest because it was presented to the public as T J Bailey's first school as the new architect of the SBL. The design was published in the building p
© Tim Walder
© Tim Walder
© Tim Walder
© Tim Walder

School Search

Filter by various criteria to narrow your search

Current use
Current condition
With Photos