Home Schools

Schools

Adys Road School, Southwark

Original name Adys Road School
Current name St John's and St Clement's Church of England Primary School
Previous names Woodstock School
Current address Adys Road, East Dulwich, London
Postcode SE15 4DY
Date of opening 1884
Date of addition(s) 1889
VSIL grading Outstanding
Evidence source SBL Map 1904; LCC: Education Service Particulars for the Year 1914-1915. Andrew Saint Report 1991. Tim Walder site visit 2007.
Original architect E R Robson
Additional architect T J Bailey
Style Late Robson
Borough Southwark
Current use Primary education
Condition Excellent
Protection Listed Grade II (Listed 17/09/1988)
Comments
Between Adys Road, Keston Road, Hinckley Road and Amott Road. Recommended for listing by Andrew Saint in 1991. Formerly known as Woodstock School. Chunky, asymmetrical school, strong site value, assertive for date. Added storey to hall block damages it. There appears to be no date plaque. An interesting late Robson school (with a poor roof conversion to the W side). There is a fine fleche to the prominent mezzanine hexagonal bay structure. Irregular in plan and commands the site well. Generally in a Queen Anne style. There is a relatively unintrusive modern entrance alteration. Listing description: St John's and St Clements's School GV II Formerly known as: Ady's Road Board School ADY'S ROAD. Board School. 1883-4. By T J Bailey, architect. For the School Board for London. Red brick in English bond, treated as banded rustication to ground floor and pilasters and bands to upper floors; stock brick to upper-floor walls. Roofs of tiles. In essence a cross wing plan, with south
© Frederick Wolff
© Frederick Wolff
© Tim Walder
© Tim Walder

School Search

Filter by various criteria to narrow your search

Architect
Style
Borough
Current use
Current condition
With Photos