Home Schools

Schools

Sumner Road School, Southwark

Original name Sumner Road School
Current name St James the Great Roman Catholic Primary School
Previous names Unknown
Current address Peckham Road, Peckham, London
Postcode SE15 5LP
Date of opening 1876
Date of addition(s) 1888
VSIL grading Outstanding
Evidence source SBL Map 1904; LCC: Education Service Particulars for the Year 1914-1915. Tim Walder site visit 2008.
Original architect E R Robson
Additional architect T J Bailey
Style Early Robson
Borough Southwark
Current use Primary education
Condition Good
Protection None
Comments
Located between Sumner Road and Peckham Road, there are two buildings on this site. The older school has an entrance in Sumner Avenue, an alleyway running N from Peckham Road. This is a beautiful and well preserved school. The S side is very Robson and the N side (visible from the adjacent park area) appears to be Bailey. The entrance gate into Sumner Avenue has the date 1888. The intrusive schoolkeeper's house on the S side appears to be later. There is an ancillary structure to the W, perhaps a Manual Training Centre. The later building may be post 1914 and is now in use as Southwark Social Services offices.
© Tim Walder
© Tim Walder
© Tim Walder
© Tim Walder

School Search

Filter by various criteria to narrow your search

Architect
Style
Borough
Current use
Current condition
With Photos